Kinky hopes to be chosen as the nominee for the Democratic Party in the 2010 election for Texas Governor. He has frequently held these meet-and-greet parties in order to drum up publicity for his campaign. Kinky tries to truly make a connection with the citizens of Texas by holding personal events such as these, a technique I do not see the other candidates utilizing as frequently.
Kinky is a man of many talents - not only is he a politician, but he is also a musician, humorist, cigar-enthusiast and author. At the event this evening, he will also be showcasing his new book, Heroes of a Texas Childhood, for purchase and signing. This is a non-fiction work by Kinky himself, describing heroes of his childhood. The people mentioned in the book range from his father to Barbara Jordan to cartoonist Ace Reid.

The main attraction of the event, other than Kinky himself, is his cigars. Kinky Friedman Cigars are handmade in Honduras and are sold throughout Texas. Kinky prides himself on his passion for good cigars. I am not a smoker myself and I know very little about cigars, but by researching through Web sites devoted to Kinky's cigars, I have been lead to believe they truly are wonderful cigars. They come in many different types and flavors and are popular among many different types of people. He also sells them in bundles known as "The Kinksters," a name I thought to be quite clever!
I feel that Kinky Friedman takes a truly different approach to his campaign. While the other nominee-hopefuls are busy fundraising and holding press conferences, inky is out mixing with the people of Texas. He takes on the image of a true-blooded Texan and seems to really want to a make a connection with his audiences.
What do you think of Kinky's image and approach to the campaign? Does it help give him a distinction from the rest of the potential nominees? Or does it show a lack of professionalism/seriousness about the race?

I think that this type of publicity portrays Kinky as a laid-back grassroots candidate that is down-to-earth and truly for the people. I could not imagine Kay Bailey Hutchison or Rick Perry doing something like this. I think it also helps him stand out from the other candidates, because most press conferences are not memorable, but a cigar party is.
ReplyDelete